Every day, people in the state of Michigan experience serious bodily injuries due to no fault of their own. If you have been hurt and believe that someone else is to blame for your injuries, it can be challenging to figure out what steps you can take. Suffering from a personal injury can have expensive repercussions and financial implications.
Many people who sustain serious personal injuries cannot work, resulting in lost wages and even the inability to continue their current careers. Others are saddled with mounting hospital bills, medical expenses, and chronic pain. The impact of a serious personal injury can have devastating consequences.
If this has happened to you, please speak with our skilled Saginaw personal injury attorneys. At Michigan Injury Lawyers, our team of personal injury lawyers can help you navigate the process of collecting compensation for your damages.
Common Personal Injuries
A personal injury is any injury to your body, mind, or emotional state that was inflicted upon you by someone else, either knowingly or unknowingly. Many personal injuries are caused by accidents that are the result of another person’s negligence or carelessness.
Some of the more common personal injuries include:
- Dog bites - A dog bite can result in both serious physical and emotional damage. Many people who once would have called themselves dog-lovers develop an acute fear of dogs after a dog bite. A dog bite can turn into a very serious injury, even when treated immediately. People bitten by a dog that was not properly trained and controlled by the owner run a high risk of infection and long-term physical issues.
- Car accidents - A car accident is one of the most common causes of personal injury and is also one of the most dangerous. Those who are involved in a car accident with a reckless driver often sustain serious and life-changing injuries. Many factors can cause a car accident. One of the most prevalent is the behavior of a distracted driver. These drivers are paying attention to something other than the road. With the new technology present in cars today, drivers have many distractions. If a driver shifts their attention to sending a text message or answering a phone call, they put themselves and everyone else around them at risk for an accident.
- Pedestrian accidents - For those who enjoy walking for either pleasure, exercise, or as a mode of getting from one place to the next, there is always the risk that they will be involved in a pedestrian accident. Many times these accidents happen when a pedestrian is crossing the street and is hit by a reckless driver who is operating a vehicle and fails to notice that the walker is present. This is even more common at night or in adverse weather conditions when visibility is lower than it usually is during the daytime. Because pedestrians are not protected by anything, even a helmet, these accidents can result in serious injuries.
- Slip and fall accidents - You are probably familiar with slapstick comedy that involves a person slipping and falling down, usually accompanied by a laugh track. In reality, a slip and fall accident is anything but funny. This type of accident occurs when a person slips on a surface and suffers an injury. These accidents often lead to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, or spinal injuries. Recovery time can vary depending on the severity of the injury.
- Bike accidents - Given that bikes typically share the road with motorized vehicles, bike riders run a high risk of being involved in an accident with a car or a truck. If this happens, the bicyclist will likely suffer injuries due to their limited protection, compared to those inside a vehicle. Bicyclists riding in the bike lane or on the road alongside traffic are vulnerable to the actions of vehicles around them. When a driver is not paying attention and strikes a person on a bike, devastating injuries can occur.
Additional Practice Areas in Saginaw:
A Note About No-Fault Car Insurance in SaginawSaginaw
Michigan is one of several states that has a no-fault insurance system, which means that car accident victims typically make a claim on their own insurance policy, regardless of whose fault an accident was. Michigan drivers are required to have personal injury protection (PIP) coverage that will cover their medical expenses, partial lost income, and some other out-of-pocket expenses up to the policy limits.
It’s vital to understand that PIP claims do not pay out for non-economic damages like pain and suffering. Fortunately, under Michigan law, there are some situations in which car accident victims can file third-party insurance claims or personal injury lawsuits in order to recover for these kinds of damages. One of the most common is when victims experience a “serious impairment of bodily function” as a result of injuries sustained in a crash. For this reason, it’s critical you discuss your claim with a lawyer before deciding that PIP is your only option.
As a result of rising insurance costs in the state, as of July 2020, Michigan drivers will be able to select from new PIP options or waive PIP coverage altogether. To learn more about these options, you should discuss your coverage with an insurance broker or agent. After an accident, call our experienced attorneys for help navigating the new system.
What to Do if You Sustained a Personal Injury in Saginaw
If you have suffered a personal injury, there are steps that you should take to protect yourself and your claim for just compensation:
- Contact the police. When the police arrive on the scene, they will write up an official accident report detailing what happened.
- Seek immediate medical advice, even if you do not initially believe your injuries to be serious.
- Avoid speaking with insurance companies. Insurance companies will often attempt to collect a statement from you. Even if you think you are providing the right information, your statement can be used against you and be detrimental to your case.
- Call our personal injury attorneys. The legal process around a personal injury can be complicated, and you need someone who has experience with this type of law on your side.
Speak With Our Experienced Saginaw Personal Injury Lawyers Today!
If you sustained an injury and believe that another party was at fault, it can be difficult to figure out what steps to take. Personal injury accidents can result in expensive medical bills, lost wages due to time off work, and a dramatically different lifestyle. Many people find that the time after an accident is both physically and emotionally challenging. Working with the skilled Saginaw personal injury attorneys at Michigan Injury Lawyers can help alleviate some of your stress and worry.
Our team takes the time to understand your situation and how best to proceed with the legal process. If you have been injured, don’t wait - for a free initial consultation, you can give us a call at (231) 649-2720 or write to us using our online contact form if you have any questions. We look forward to working together to recover the maximum compensation we can for your accident.