You are probably familiar with slapstick comedy that involves a person slipping and falling, usually accompanied by a laugh track. In reality, a slip and fall accident is anything but funny. This type of accident occurs when a person slips on a surface and suffers an injury. These accidents often lead to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, or spinal injuries.
Recovery time can vary depending on the severity of the injury. If you or someone you are close to has been involved in a slip and fall accident, and there is reason to believe that another party is at fault for your injuries, you should speak with an experienced Saginaw slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible.
Call our Saginaw personal injury attorneys at Michigan Injury Lawyers for your free initial consultation.
Preventing a Slip and Fall Injury
A slip and fall accident can occur in countless situations. Most of the time, this type of accident comes as a total surprise to the person involved.
Some of the more common causes of a slip and fall accident include:
- Icy pavement or sidewalks - It is easy to miss the presence of ice on the sidewalk. One moment you are walking down the sidewalk, and the next moment you find yourself on the ground and in pain. Slipping on ice is almost impossible to control, and the result could be a painful injury.
- Slippery surfaces are one of the leading causes of a slip and fall injury. There may be a liquid spill that goes unnoticed in a grocery store until someone slips and suffers an injury in a fall. Perhaps a store employee has cleaned up a mess using a wet mop but failed to put out a sign notifying customers that the floor might still be wet. Falling on a hard floor without any warning often results in a serious injury.
- An unexpected object blocking a pathway that is not clearly marked could lead to a slip and fall accident. Tripping over a sign or a box with poor visibility that has been poorly placed can result in a serious injury.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
The injuries that result from slip and fall accidents include:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Hip injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Sprained and strained muscles
- Shoulder injuries
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, seek immediate medical attention, even if you don’t think your injuries are serious. Some seemingly minor injuries can start with mild symptoms that grow worse over the hours, days, and weeks after the accident. You should see a doctor as soon as you can after your slip and fall. Your doctor can perform a comprehensive examination to look for signs of injury that you might not immediately recognize.
Common Expenses Related to a Slip and Fall Injury
A slip and fall accident can result in a serious injury, and often comes with a serious financial burden. Many common expenses accompany a slip and fall accident. Depending on the severity of the injury, these expenses continue for months or even years.
Common expenses include:
- The ambulance ride to the hospital
- Your initial medical evaluation
- Emergency treatments
- Extended hospital stay
- Physical therapy
- Medical devices, like crutches or a wheelchair, to support you after the accident
- Ongoing treatment
- Adjustments to your house to accommodate your injury
- Modifications to your vehicles
- Lost wages due to time off work
- Missed future earnings or bonuses, especially for those in sales
- Psychological therapy
The expenses after your accident can add up quickly, not to mention the longer-term expenses. Sometimes routine physical therapy sessions are required, modifications to homes and cars to accommodate for the injury are needed, and an ongoing challenge to enjoying life again. On top of that, people who have suffered an injury are often unable to go back to work right away, resulting in lost wages and additional financial stress.
Don’t Delay - Call Our Saginaw Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Today!
The injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident can range from minor bumps and bruises to a life threatening traumatic brain injury. If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident and believe that another party is liable for your injuries, you should speak with the Saginaw slip and fall accident attorneys at Michigan Injury Lawyers as soon as you possibly can.
Working with the compassionate and knowledgeable team at Michigan Injury Lawyers can help ease the burden of a slip and fall injury. We understand how devastating this type of sudden injury can be. We have helped many clients through the legal process after they have experienced a slip and fall injury and are dedicated to helping those who are in a similar situation. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss the details of your situation.
Contact us online to learn more or call us today at (989) 297-3420 for a free case consultation. We are here to help, so call today!