Driving a car is a necessity for people living in Saginaw, Michigan. Motorized vehicles are used for driving to and from work, bringing your children to school and sports practices, going to the grocery store, or going out to dinner.
Unfortunately, driving a motorized vehicle means you run the risk of becoming involved in a car accident. Even a seemingly minor accident has the potential to result in serious and long-lasting injuries. If you or someone you know has been involved in a car accident, and have reason to believe that the other party was at fault, you should speak with a knowledgeable car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Call our Saginaw personal injury attorneys at Michigan Injury Lawyers for your free initial consultation.
Saginaw No-Fault Car Insurance
Along with about a dozen other states, Michigan uses a no-fault insurance system when it comes to auto insurance. This means that Michigan drivers recover from their own personal injury protection (PIP) policy after an accident, regardless of whose fault an accident was.
It’s important to note that PIP claims only cover victims’ economic losses, like medical expenses and lost income, which can leave victims with significant uncompensated damages. When victims suffer particularly serious injuries, they can often bring third-party liability claims or personal injury lawsuits to fully recover for their losses. For this reason, it’s highly advisable for all car accident victims to discuss their options with an experienced lawyer.
NOTE: Our state’s motor vehicle insurance requirements are about to change drastically, so you’ll want an attorney, like those at Michigan Injury Lawyers, who is closely following how that can affect your case, and knows how to help you as the changes take effect.
What to Do If You Were in a Car Accident
Most people are unprepared for the event of a car accident, especially when it is difficult to anticipate the moves of and avoid a reckless driver. After a car accident, many people feel frustrated with the lack of control they had in the moment. Thankfully, the actions you take after a car accident are completely in your control and can protect your health, safety, and the likeliness of recovery just compensation for any damages incurred.
These actions should include:
- Calling the police - It is absolutely important to take the time and call the police directly after the accident takes place. The police will arrive on the scene and assess the situation. They will speak to both parties involved in the accident and any witnesses nearby. After this, an officer will write up an official police report that will include information on who they believe was at fault for the accident. This report can be an important tool for your lawyer when presenting your case.
- Seeking medical attention - Make sure to let the police on the scene know if you believe yourself to have been seriously injured in the accident so that you can receive medical attention. Even if you believe your injuries to be minor, it is essential to still seek medical attention. Some injuries do not present symptoms for hours, days, or even weeks after the event. A medical professional will be able to do a thorough evaluation and determine your physical condition. When evaluating your claim, insurance companies will typically check to see if you received medical attention. If you request compensation for medical expenses related to the accident but did not receive an initial medical exam, the insurance adjusters could argue that your injuries must not have been serious or are unrelated to the accident at all.
- Contacting our dedicated car accident lawyers - To fight for your rights to just compensation, you should work with an experienced car accident lawyer. Having an advocate in your corner who is dedicated to helping you during this time can make all of the difference in the world. Accidents are expensive. With medical bills, repairing your damaged vehicle, and ongoing treatment you might need to heal, working with an attorney can be the difference between going into debt and maintaining financial security. The insurance companies have a team of attorneys on their side, and so should you.
The Benefits of Working With a Skilled Car Accident Attorney
In the days following a car accident, you might feel stressed, frustrated, and even scared when thinking about the challenges of recovery and repair in the upcoming weeks. With mounting medical bills, lost wages due to time off work, and frequent calls from the insurance company as they attempt to get to you agree to a settlement of their choosing, the entire situation can seem very confusing and overwhelming.
An experienced car accident attorney is absolutely invaluable at this time, assisting you with:
- Communicating with the insurance companies
- Procuring essential documentation to support your claim
- Determining the cost of total damages due
- Working with the courts to settle your claim
The legal process can be time-consuming and complicated, and your skilled car accident lawyer can help you to recover the maximum compensation due to you. Let Michigan Injury Lawyers handle the legal process so that you can concentrate on resting, recovering, and healing.
Contact a Saginaw Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
Those injured in a car accident could face a difficult mental and physical road to recovery. If you have been in a car accident, you should speak with the experienced Saginaw Car Accident attorneys at Michigan Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. An attorney will be by your side, helping you navigate the legal process.
For a free initial consultation, contact us online or call us at (989) 297-3420. We are committed to recovering the maximum compensation for our clients who have been injured in a car accident.