Traffic accidents happen every day in Michigan. In some of these car accidents, no one is hurt and only property is damaged. In other situations, collisions cause life-changing injuries or cause drivers, passengers, motorcyclists, bicyclists or pedestrians to lose their lives.
Facts and Figures about Car Accidents in Michigan
A number of different sources assemble statistics on auto accidents in Michigan, including:
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). NHTSA collects statistics on accidents throughout the U.S. and has details on the total number of accident fatalities in Michigan, as well as in other states, that occurred in recent years.
- The Michigan State Police. Their website provides annual crash statistics for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. The site also provides links to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, as well as to National Fatal Traffic Crash Statistics and Holiday Crash statistics in Michigan.
- Michigan Traffic Crash Facts.org. This website provides details on the total number of crashes as well as on licensed drivers in Michigan, the mileage death rate, the number of vehicle registrations, and the injury crash rates.
- The Office of Highway Safety Planning. Their website provides an annual report on crash statistics, occupant protection, alcohol enforcement and other safety measures.
Michigan Car Accident Statistics on the Number and Types of Crashes
A great deal of information is available regarding the total number of traffic crashes and the types of traffic crashes in Michigan. For example:
- The Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center Crash Statistics reveal that there were 284,049 traffic crashes between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2011.
- The same source reports that 52,487 of the crashes caused injuries, while 320,728 caused property damage. Statistics from Michigan Traffic Crash Decade-at-a-Glance revealed that the total number of injuries resulting from these crashes was equal to 71,796 in 2011.
- Going too fast was a common contributing factor in Michigan auto accidents -- 31,617 crashes involved at least one driver who was speeding.
- Failure to yield was also a major contributing cause of accidents, with 39,901 Michigan motor vehicle accidents occurring due to one driver’s failing to stop and give the other the right of way.
- Alcohol was involved in 9,036 crashes in Michigan between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2011.
Michigan Car Accident Statistics on Traffic Fatalities
Some of the most devastating statistics available regarding Michigan car crashes are the figures on the number of people who were killed in auto accidents within the state:
- According to the Michigan State Police Criminal Justice Information Center Crash Statistics, 889 people were killed in traffic crashes throughout the state during 2011. These deaths occurred in a total of 834 fatal crashes.
- People between the ages of 45 and 54 accounted for more fatalities than any other age group. The same source reported that there were 149 deaths of individuals in this age group, as compared to 129 deaths among those ages 25-34.
- Michigan Traffic Crash Decade-at-a-Glance reported that 53.4 percent of those killed in traffic crashes were wearing seatbelts at the time.
- Alcohol or drug use played a role in 297 of the 834 fatal crashes in Michigan in 2011.
- The Michigan Traffic Crash Facts Sheet states that there were 0.94 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled and that the fatal crash rate is equal to 0.88 percent.
Hurt in a Michigan Car Accident? Get Legal Help Now
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another motorist in Michigan, you have a legal right to obtain compensation. But you have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit, so it’s important to contact a car accident lawyer without delay. We will handle the necessary paperwork to make sure you don’t miss the deadline. If you have been injured in a car accident, we can help you and your family obtain a fair settlement.
We respond promptly to telephone calls and report regularly on developments in cases. Call our Michigan car accident lawyers at 313-438-4357 or contact us online. If there is no recovery in your case, there is no fee for our services.