- Is a birth injury the same thing as a birth defect?No. Birth defects develop when the baby is still in the mother’s womb, while birth injuries typically occur during labor or immediately after delivery. In addition, birth defects often have a genetic or environmental cause, while birth injuries are usually due to a healthcare provider’s negligence—or carelessness—which harms the infant.
- How do birth injuries occur?It’s your healthcare providers’ responsibility to stay alert for any possible complications during labor and to check your baby’s vital signs after birth to ensure he or she is healthy. When doctors or nurses fail to monitor the baby’s health during labor, they might miss signs and symptoms of a medical emergency—which can lead to a birth injury.If your baby suffered a birth injury because of careless hospital staff members, Michigan Injury Lawyers wants to help you. Our Michigan birth injury attorneys are familiar with the causes of birth injuries, and we’ll do our best to investigate your claim and determine who was responsible. Give us a call at (888) 454-0801 or fill out a free initial consultation form today.
- What are examples of negligence? Hospital negligence during labor can take many forms. Some of the most common instances of negligence include:
- failure to monitor the child’s and mother’s vital signs,
- incorrect usage of forceps during delivery,
- poor sanitation of surgical equipment,
- prescription and anesthesia errors during labor,
- surgical errors during cesarean section,
- and more.
Proving negligence can be difficult after a birth injury, but Michigan Injury Lawyers has the experience to know when negligence occurred.
- What are common birth injuries?Because newborn babies are so vulnerable to injury, doctors and nurses must be cautious during the birthing process to ensure that babies are born safely and without complications. A healthcare provider’s negligence can lead to many types of birth injuries, including:
- bone fractures and breaks,
- cerebral palsy,
- Erb’s palsy,
- spinal cord injuries,
- and more.
These injuries can be serious and may cause your child lifelong disabilities. You shouldn’t have to take on the costs of your child’s birth injury. We’ll do everything we can to hold the hospital accountable, so your child’s expenses are covered.
- How do I know if I have a birth injury claim?Birth injuries aren’t always the doctor’s fault. At Michigan Injury Lawyers, our Detroit birth injury lawyers can investigate the circumstances of your baby’s injury. We’ll do our best to determine if it was due to a healthcare provider’s negligence. Don’t stay in the dark about your baby’s birth injury—call our law firm, and let us put our experience to work for you.