Detroit is a beautiful city that many people like to enjoy while riding their bicycles. Unfortunately, many cyclists are in accidents with much larger vehicles. Since bicycles offer little in the way of protection, an accident with a much larger and heavier vehicle can result in severe injuries to a cyclist.
As you might imagine, you can experience difficulties while overcoming injuries from a bicycle accident. The victims in these cases must recover from physical, mental, emotional, and financial harm, which can be an ongoing process. If you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident and would like to learn about your rights, contact a Detroit bike accident lawyer to get honest feedback about your case and discover what type of compensation you might receive.
Detroit Bicycle Accident Statistics
While it’s wonderful to bike the streets and pathways of Detroit, bicyclists need to understand the risks and how to respond to them.
Cycling is an enjoyable activity, but as these statistics show, cycling can also pose serious dangers.
- 174 accidents between a cyclist and motorist occurred in Detroit in a single year, which was a 17 percent increase over a five-year period.
- PeopleforBikes recently gave Detroit three stars out of a possible five in its safety ratings. That rating is higher than the 1.5 stars the city received in past years.
- Nearly 80 percent of bicycle-vehicle accidents result in injuries, according to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts.
- Nine percent of those injuries led to hospitalization, and 21 crash victims did not survive.
Be careful on your bicycle as grave consequences can come from collisions with other, bigger vehicles. As the PeopleforBikes statistic shows, bicycle safety is improving, but we still need to be mindful of the risks. If you were injured due to the negligence of another party, contact Michigan Injury Lawyers now for assistance.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Michigan
Knowing how bicycle accidents occur can help keep you safe going forward and protect your rights following an accident. In simple terms, most accidents occur because someone violated a traffic law. It’s also quite common that there was confusion between the accident participants over who had the right of way, or maybe the motorist just didn’t see the cyclist.
Here are some of the common causes of Detroit bicycle accidents:
- Dooring accidents happen when a motorist opens their car door, and the bicyclist collides with the door. Before opening a door, motorists should always look over their shoulders to make sure there are no oncoming cyclists. Generally, motorists are liable when they open their door and consequently cause an accident.
- Rear-end crashes are a quite common type of car-bicycle accident and often occur due to distracted, speeding, or aggressive drivers.
- Side-swiping occurs when a vehicle moves in the same direction as a bicycle, and the side of the car collides with the cyclist. This often happens when cars change lanes without checking for a cyclist.
- Left-hand turn incidents happen when the motorist is turning left but fails to spot the cyclist riding in the bike lane or crossing the street. Right hook accidents occur when a driver turns right in front of a cyclist moving the same direction.
What Damages Can a Bicycle Accident Plaintiff Claim?
Victims of car-bicycle accidents can claim both physical and non-physical damages resulting from an accident.
Here are some examples of the types of damages that bicycle accident cases commonly try to recover:
- All past and medical expenses including treatment and surgery
- Future costs of medical care, physical rehabilitation, prescription medication, and more
- Psychological and emotional counseling
- Lost income while recovering from injuries
- Reduced income potential resulting from disability
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
These are just a small sample of the types of damages many bicycle accident victims pursue. To discover what claims you are eligible to file and what compensation might look like in your case, contact an attorney at Michigan Law Attorneys for information.
How Bicycle Accident Settlement Negotiations Work
Just because you file a claim for damages doesn’t automatically mean you’re going to court. On the contrary, you may never step foot in a courtroom. Like many other bike accident victims, you might pursue an insurance claim with the negligent driver’s liability insurer. In this case, a Detroit bike accident lawyer can help guide you through the negotiation process with the insurance company.
Expect the initial offer of compensation from the insurance company to be a small one. In most cases, the initial offer is insufficient to cover the physical, mental, and financial damages you incurred. That’s where we come in. Let us negotiate with the insurance company to get you the fair compensation you deserve. If your case goes to court, we’ll work tirelessly on your behalf to prove your case and protect your rights.
How Soon Should You Contact an Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
When you suffer injuries in a bike accident, make your first priority to seek proper medical care to begin the healing process. As soon as you can, however, you need to contact a skilled bicycle accident attorney so investigations can begin. Swift action is necessary to preserve evidence, which is vital to protect your rights.
You might think with the plethora of cameras seemingly everywhere, that footage exists that can help support your claim. While that might be true, it’s also true that camera videos usually run on a loop. That means it’s quite common for the surveillance system to record over the video, forever erasing important footage of your accident. Skid marks fade quickly, and witness memories fade even faster. Give yourself the best chance of success by contacting a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible.
Hire a Detroit Bike Accident Attorney Today
Got questions about your case? We have answers. Get all the information you need by contacting us or calling (888) 454-0801. Our Detroit bike accident attorneys offer a free initial consultation where we will answer your questions. We want to make sure you have all the information you need to help you get your life back on track.