Planning on traveling by bus in Michigan this holiday season?
Take a few simple precautions to make sure your trip is safe and enjoyable.
Following is from the Michigan Department of Transportation:
If you intend to book your next vacation via bus, you may want to use the iPhone app created by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The website also provides in-depth information for bus riders regarding the company’s safety records.
SaferBus is a helpful tool because it allows consumers to have access to commercial safety records. Almost 6,000 different carriers are represented, from school buses to private coaches and tours.
Following are some additional tips for safe bus travel:
- Use only reputable companies. You should never book a ticket with a bus service that does not present a certificate of authority. If you want to check on a particular service, get in touch with the MDOT Office of Passenger Transportation. They are available via phone, at (517) 241-0679 or (517) 241-0680. MDOT’s website also has the desired information.
- Simply because a bus service advertises on Craigslist or any other website does not mean that its operator is legal or reliable.
- Review the safety record of your carrier here.
- Make sure your carrier is licensed in Michigan by looking here.
- If you or someone you know is injured or killed in a bus accident, contact an experienced Michigan bus injury attorney to protect your legal rights.
- Know that all carriers must have liability insurance and no-fault insurance. If a carrier is not listed on the MDOT’s list of licensed carriers, it might not have the required insurance coverage either.
- Beware of bargains. If a bus company is offering reduced rates that seem too good to be true, the company might not be taking care of maintenance, safety compliance and comfort.
- Report mechanical problems or safety violations to MDOT. All reports are confidential.
Talk with a Michigan Bus Accident Attorney
Got a legal question or problem involving a vehicle accident or injury? We can help. Call a personal injury lawyer at 866-474-8357 or use this online contact form to request a free consultation.
The Michigan Injury Lawyers represent clients throughout Michigan, including those in Macomb County, Oakland County, Warren, Clinton Township, Sterling Heights, St. Clair Shores, Mount Clemens, Utica, Roseville, Troy, Farmington Hills, Waterford, Southfield, Pontiac, Birmingham, Rochester Hills, West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Hills.Posted In: Automobile Safety, Car Accidents, Personal Injury